Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Heavy Breather



For such a long time now Vika has been breathing really raspy, and deep.  We had no idea what was going on with her, so last night I took her to the doctor.  He totally put my mind at ease, and made me feel so much better.  

People would say that something was seriously wrong with her, and I would just brush it off and say that it was just how she breathed.  But in the back of my mind I would think that something was wrong.  

The Dr. said that it could be a combination of 1 of 2 things.  The first one is called Laryngomalacia.  If it is in fact this one she would just have to outgrow it, and there is nothing I can do for it now.

Laryngomalacia (literally, "soft larynx") is a very common condition of infancy, in which the soft, immature cartilage of the upper larynx collapses inward during inhalation, causing airway obstruction. It can also be seen in older patients, especially those with neuromuscular conditions resulting in weakness of the muscles of the throat. However, the infantile form is much more common.

The second is Reflux.  She has reflux for sure because she is constantly spitting up, but the question is if its causing damage to her vocal cords and making her breath so loudly.  He gave me a prescription for the reflux if I feel like she should take it.  

Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)Gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (GORD)Gastric reflux disease, or Acid reflux disease is defined as chronic symptoms or mucosal damage produced by the abnormal reflux in the esophagus.[1]

This is commonly due to transient or permanent changes in the barrier between the esophagus and the stomach. This can be due to incompetence of thelower esophageal sphincter, transient lower esophageal sphincter relaxation, impaired expulsion of gastric reflux from the esophagus, or a hiatus hernia.


I just need to figure out if its a combination of the 2, or if its just 1.  Either way she is just fine, and she will continue to be totally fine.  Thank you everyone for your concerns, but please don't worry anymore. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

First, VERY cute picture! She looks so grown up sitting like that!

Second, she really is fine! I'm sorry people have made you worry. I am also glad you took her to the dr to ease your worries.

She is healthy and happy! I wouldn't worry about the reflux either. I would hesitate to give her the Rx because she isn't in any pain or discomfort from the reflux. She will outgrow it on her own. Until then she will just still be my Vika Vader.

Matt. Tara. Addi. Roslyn. said...

Geez I had no idea that she was having heavy breathing. Little Addi always breathes super fast but obviously I know why. Still, it is scary! I wanted to thank you so much for your concern and always leaving me comments on my blog when Addi was in the hospital. It really helped to know you were concerned and caring. I'm so glad we're still friends after all these years!

Andrea said...

I think that it is great you got it checked out. Now when people ask you can just say, "The Doc said she is fine" I don't worry about her when she is just "Hanging Out" but when she is eating it does seem a little scary. She is such a cutie!

Mindy Thomas said...

She is so cute! Way cute Picture! She looks like you!